Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Newlessness : Day 48

Vacuum Graveyard


I desperately need a vacuum. The one I had broke down on me and my apartment is slowly accumulating little masses of lint and specks of the unknown in forgotten corners. I was about to run out to the hardware store when I remembered. Not buying anything new can be downright annoying at times. But then I think about the piles of plastic, unwanted vacuums sitting in a landfill somewhere and my attitude slowly melts from annoyance into satisfaction. The satisfaction of sacrificing the easy, time-saving convenience of stopping by the store for the greater good of reducing my carbon footprint.

While I was contemplating where to get a used vacuum, I decided to do some research on how to recycle my old vacuum. I found a few useful tips:

1. When your vacuum breaks, try to fix it before disposing of it. Often times it just needs a new part and you can save it by taking it to your nearest appliance repair shop.

2. If your vacuum is beyond fixing, you can still do your part! The outer shell of the vacuum is recyclable. The motor is not recyclable, however, it can be properly disposed of by taking it to the nearest recycling center to keep toxins away from groundwater sources.

3. Lastly, if your vacuum is not broken, and you are looking to upgrade, consider donating the vacuum to charity, a local thrift shop, or .... ME! Cause I really need one!!

How did this "not buying anything new" shenanigan come about you ask? See the post that started it all.

7 comments:

  1. Bambu, we bought a used Electrolux cannister vac at a garage sale for $10--best vacuum ever!

    So you are going a whole year without buying anything new? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found my vacuum at a yard sale for $5...it's a great runner!

    I had a vacuum that I used for work and the same part kept breaking over and over and over...it was getting highly annoying and they should've taken more care to make that plastic part better...because a little piece that held the entire part on would break off every time. So, unfortunately a new investment had to be made.

    Thanks for the tips though...will keep them in mind next time around. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We bought our first vaccuum at a garage sale. It was a Bissell(the man sold it to us told us it was a By-zel),and it ran well for a good little while. Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the garage sale tip! I love love love them, however I work on Saturdays. Maybe this weekend I will get up super early and do some speed shopping before work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you find a vacuum soon! I still have the vacuum that I bought in 1989!
    Bloomfield Beads

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are either a nut or plain amazing! I don't think I can go a day without buying anything!! :O)
    Good Luck on the vacuum shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just replaced the bag and belt on my old Eureka and its working great!

    ReplyDelete