Friday, April 30, 2010

Newlessness : Day 120

restore3

120 days.
I can't believe it.
It really doesn't seem like more than 1/3 of the year has gone by already!

I have to say, I've been able to find some pretty cool things throughout this process. I've been so excited to share this particular find with you, and I've had to be patient since it took a while to get things set up. I had been looking for a coffee table trunk (still am) and someone I met in a cute little resale boutique told me about the Habitat ReStore. Intrigued, I decided to visit one nearby in hopes I could find a trunk that would look great in my living room.

I've learned that Habitat ReStores are outlets that accept donated goods for resale that are usually donated by local businesses to help fund Habitat for Humanity. This was exciting for me because instead of these (mostly home improvement) supplies going to waste, they are being sold to help fund raising up homes in the community to those who would otherwise be unable to afford their own while doing their part to be environmentally responsible.

Well, I didn't find a trunk, but I found some really cute door frames to put in my living room and add to its charm. They were pretty big, but I managed to fit them into my little car.

IMG_0414

Originally I had wanted to remove some or all of the glass panels and replace with mirrors and hang on the wall, however, these frames are really heavy, so I decided mounting might not be the best idea and leaning them up against the wall would be easier. My roommate had the brilliant idea to put lighting behind them! I'm not sure if I will still be adding mirror to some of the panels, but for now, it looks great and our little apartment is starting to come together!

restore2

I encourage you to search for a ReStore in your area to shop or donate! You're bound to find some incredible things at some incredible prices all while supporting Newlessness!

1 comment:

  1. The frames look lovely in your living room. Isn't it wonderful when you find a treasure and it is reasonably priced ? But it is really great when you feel like you're helping to recycle something that could have gone into a landfill...now that really would be a waste.

    ReplyDelete