Tuesday, February 16, 2010

An Interview with Sunshine Speckles

sunshinespeckles

How did come to be?
Sunshine Speckles was a joint effort between me and the existing Etsy shop names. My first name (Sunshine and Roses) was taken already, but Sunshine Speckles has really grown on me now, and I’m happy I have the name. The name makes me think of all of the things in life that provide simple pleasures – the specks of sunshine scattered throughout the day.

What inspired you to make your handmade items?
My friend Stacey taught me how to carve rubber stamps, and I needed an outlet for the growing pile of stamps and cards that was building at my house. I’m a big card writer, but even I can’t use as many cards as I make for my Etsy shop.

What does your work space look like?
I do all my crafting at home, so my work spaces changes day-by-day. I have a big rolling cart that holds most of my supplies and I drag it across the apartment to where I want to work. Today, I’m working on envelopes at my dining room table, so I have all of my envelope supplies spread across the table in various stages of the transformation from flat sheets of card stock to envelopes.

Tell us a little about you!
I graduated from law school in May, and I’m still in the midst of my job search. This was a really great time in my life to start an Etsy shop since I have so much free time to devote to making stamps, stamping cards, making envelopes, and refining my limited photography skills. By the time I have a full-time day job, I think I will have my process down well enough that my shop can be a good part-time job. I spend my days making cards with my two little dogs and my evenings with my partner. I also love to crochet, read books about dystopias, and bake.

Who has been your closest supporter?
I think a lot of my friends have been really supportive, especially my friend Stacey who is always very encouraging when I want to up new crafts. She even gives me lessons in the many crafts she enjoys. My dogs are also very supportive of me being at home with them every day.

What is your next goal?
I have a few things on my crafting to-do list. I thought up a few variations on red velvet cake that I want to try. I want to make handmade paper. I’ve been playing around with making sugar scrubs for myself, and I love the results so far. I also started looking into soap making. I’m currently trying to learn to read crochet patterns, but that’s just for me, not for my shop.

Where do you see Sunshine Speckles in the next 5 years?
I’m a very ambitious multi-tasker. In five years, I plan for my shop to have a steady stream of purchasers. I’m already looking into selling my cards in some local shops. I’ve also been toying around with the idea of opening a second shop for body products.

Tell us a little-known-fact about you!
My dream job is to work in a bakery. I would love to work at Back in the Day Bakery in Savannah, GA. It’s five hours from my house, but I try to center any weekend vacations around Savannah, so I can get one of their fantastic cupcakes.


Visit Sunshine Speckles for beautiful, unique handmade creations today!

No comments:

Post a Comment