Thursday, January 28, 2010

Detox : Day 1

Day one of the "7 day health detox" is over. I've been drinking some pretty terrifically gross concoctions, but all in all, not too bad. The detox I've chosen incorporates a lot of food, actually. I figure it would be a great one to start with since it is my first. Now, a good friend of mine passed down the recipes before I moved from North Carolina. So, don't ask me where I got this one from... I have no idea. Maybe online, maybe from a book somewhere, it's a toss up. What I do know, is that I've been feeling very energized, and I haven't even had any coffee. Those of you who know me might suddenly gasp at the comment, but to be honest, I've barely noticed.

I've also convinced my coworkers to detox with me, because... well... misery loves company.

Upon rising, we were to drink a salt flush, which is just 1 teaspoon of epsom salts dissolved in a half cup of warm water. Sounds simple, like it might remind you of gargling with salt water. Well, it tastes nothing like that and is not very fun to actually swallow. I chugged it. An hour later, chugged another. Then we had to eat one cup of whole grain cereal. I chose a 7 grain hot cereal made by Bob's Red Mill. Mmm. One of my favorite foods from Bob. So good, and so good for you. I also have his cornbread mix, but that is another blog for another day.
That tasty dish was short lived since we had to follow it up with a citrus flush. This consisted of a half cup of olive oil - yes olive oil - a half cup of grapefruit juice and a half cup of lemon juice. Thank God for the juices. I "shook vigorously" and sipped. Any attempt at chugging made me gag. One of my co-workers loved it - she's an interesting soul.
Then, we had three more delicious meals. Well, we were supposed to have 4, but it didn't quite work out that way.
Around 12 noon we had a turkey salad with cantaloupe and around 3:00 pm we were supposed to have chicken pasta with broccoli. Now, this is where the timing went wrong. I was microwaving broccoli in the kitchen at our leasing office (where we work), not really thinking about the fact that broccoli can be very aromatic. Of course the Regional Manager decided to pay a visit. So basically, we ended up spending an hour trying to drench the place in air freshener while secretly scarfing down our meal. The place smelled like a "sewer" and we didn't finish until 4:30. For dinner, since I was still full and partially traumatized from the late lunch, I had a scrambled egg white and toast, and skipped the barley soup.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear...I don't think I could do a detox...it sounds icky. =( Are those things supposed to make you vomit? I likely would.

    ReplyDelete